Carrollton School District is located in Carrollton Illinois - 65 miles North of St. Louis, Missouri. Our community of just over 2,000 is located between Alton and Jacksonville (35 miles from each). The District serves 617 students in two attendance centers:
Carrollton Grade School- serves the 0 – 5th grade students as well as the 6th-8th grade Carrollton Middle School Students
Carrollton High School- serves the 9-12 grades
As of the 2000 census, there were 2,605 people, 1,077 households, and 724 families residing in the Carrollton. Of the 1,077 households, 31.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 2.92.
Carrollton’s population was fairly equally spread out with 23.7% under the age of 18, 8.2% from 18 to 24, 24.3% from 25 to 44, 22.1% from 45 to 64, and 21.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years.
History of Carrollton Schools
Its schools have always been “The Pride of Carrollton!” The first public school in Carrollton was opened in the fall of 1850 by William Bartle. In January 1852, a new building was dedicated with an address by Judge Woodson
In 1852, the plain two-story frame school house, with four school rooms and a little square belfry on top, was erected on the southeast corner of the block on which the county jail was built seven years later.
The public endured the proximity of the county jail on an adjacent corner for eleven years. In 1870, the second school was erected on the present Grade School grounds. Measured by architectural standards of that time, it was a magnificent building, three stories, a basement and a mansard roof. It continued to be looked on with pride for eighteen years, and then on the night to November 16, 1888, it burned. Steps were taken at once to replace it with a more modern structure.
In 1895, the erection of the Loomis Observatory marked an important epoch in the history of the High School. Mr. L.W. Loomis, a member of the board of education, offered to give the school a seven inch lens telescope, provided a suitable building was erected to contain it. The offer was accepted and Loomis Observatory, a stone and brick structure was built. Up to 1899, the High School course covered only three years, with an additional year for students taking Latin. Under E.A. Thornhill, the course was raised to a full four years, with German added.
In May 1926, a contract was let for a large addition to the building measuring 45 x 125 feet. The addition nearly doubled the High School assembly room, provided a large gymnasium, a domestic science classroom and other classrooms and numerous improvements.
In 1952, the Carrollton and Eldred schools were consolidated. The Community Unit School District 1 serves students from Carrollton, Eldred, and the surrounding country students.
The present Carrollton Community Unit High School was dedicated in 1956. The old high school was torn down.
The High School addition built in 1928 was left standing. A new addition was added in 1961, which is now Carrollton Grade School. In recent history, the 1928 addition was torn down and a new addition added to the 1961 building. The 1961 building houses the K-5 students. The new building houses the middle school, gymnasium, lunch room, multi-media room, library and other student areas.
Excerpts from History of the Carrollton, Illinois Area: 1821-1989, Eileen Smith Cunningham, Project Director, pages 91-92.